(As at Monday, February 03, 2020)
Whilst every care is taken to ensure that the concerns indicated below are legitimate and honourable businesses, this information is provided throughout on a 'user beware' basis and the HIWB cannot be held liable for any loss or damage which may result. However, the HIWB will endeavour to correct any errors, or omissions, which are brought to its attention. The contacts shown may not be a comprehensive list, but are merely those who have been brought to our attention in a positive light. Web links will open in a new window/tab.
Boat Builders (with historic boat skills):
- Jem Bates (especially wooden boats):
Puttenham, Aylesbury http://batesboatyard.co.uk/
- Ian Braine Canal Services:
Weston on Trent, Staffs
- Brinklow Boat Services
Units 2 & 4, The Wharf, Smeaton Lane, Stretton under Fosse, Nr Rugby Warwickshire CV23 0PR. TEL: 01788 833 789
- Nigel Jackson
Chamonix, 87 High Street, Ipstones, Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire ST10 2LB Mobile 07831 396584
- Ian Kemp Restoration Services (especially rivetting):
Dadford's Shed, Mill Street, Stourbridge, West Midlands DY8 5SX. Tel: 01384 485565
- Rivetted Narrow Boat Company - exactly as it says on the tin! :-) Repairing old boats and building new boats with old techniques. The company has been reforming and amalgamating so the website is not fully functional - If it doesn't work, try ttps://www.autoyas.com/GB/Ringmer/311090375642694/Riveted-Narrowboat-Company-Ltd
- Stockton Drydock Company:
Graham Pearce, Shop Lock Cottage, Stockton Road, Stockton, Southam, Warks CV47 8LD 01926 814441 email@example.com
Boat Operators, Transport Consultants etc.
- Commercial Boat Operators Association www.cboa.org.uk The CBOA is a growing 'umbrella' organisation for all wishing to investigate commercial carrying. Previously only concerned with narrow boats, the organisation has widened its outlook - and its professionalism. Its membership now notably includes a number of barge operators in addition to narow boats.
- Barge Consult www.bargeconsult.co.uk/ For British and continental waterways - advice and consultancy from an experienced operator
- Freight Afloat www.freightafloat.co.uk is another consultancy to help those dipping a toe in the inland/maritime transport mode.
- Freight by Water www.freightbywater.org is the Freight Transport Association's maritime and inland division. Formed in 2003, at one time such a previously road oriented lobby joining the waterways cause would have seemed impossible. So good then to see them finally embracing the environmental message we have been promoting for so many decades.
Chandlery (especially historic boat related items):
- Adshed Ratcliffe http://www.arbo.co.uk/ suppliers of mastic, sealants and especially Arboseal GZ strip for sealing portholes, vents, gunwhales etc
- Classic Marine
For bulls eyes, mushroom vents, and much more.
- Covercraft Upholstery
For specialist mattress sizes as well as upholstery. Rapid service at a good price. Unit 3 Paragon Works, Wilsthorpe Road, Long Eaton, Notts NG10 3JW Tel: 0115 973 6111
- Davey & Co
For bulls eyes, mushroom vents, and much more.
- Chain, Wire Rope & Marine Fittings: GS Products: 01384 883 330, Sales@GSproducts.co.uk Dudley, West Midlands.
- Ellis Tent Services
Cloths, tarpaulins, ropes etc. The Gables Farm, Costock, Loughborough, Leicestershire LE12 6XD Tel: 01509852178
- Cloths/tarpaulins - email: Jason McCabe
Please feel free to give me a call and I will see what I can do for you! try and make up you mind what material you want it made from, if you dont know what is available, again give me a call. 01494 758018 or 07973400901
- Cloths/ropes/tarpaulins: Joseph Metcalf Ltd
139-143 Canal Street, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire NG1 7HD 01159580865
- Cloths/tarpaulins: Mudfords of Retford
Aurillac Way, Hallcroft Industrial Estate, Retford, Nottinghamshire DN22 7PX Tel: 01777 703489 Fax: 01777 704743 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Liver Grease Oil & Chemical Co: coal & tar products, caulking irons and all sorts of rare items. Although the website still exists, much of their interest has been passed to Rolt's Boat Yard of Bristol - see below:
- Marine Engine Services (Midlands) Ltd
41 Woodland Road, Kenilworth, Warwickshire CV8 2FJ Tel:01926 356200 e-mail: email@example.com
- Buy Rope of Manchester https://www.buyrope.co.uk/ will give readers a 10% discount if you quote "Historic10" at checkout.
12 Beech Range, Levenshulme, Manchester, M19 2EU Tel: 0330 124 3556
- Rope Fenders http://www.ropefenders.co.uk/ Contact Neil via website, email or phone as he lives and works and travels - mostly east midlands.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 0790 191 3749
- Timber supplies Robbins Timber
Robbins Timber, Brookgate, Ashton Vale, Bristol BS3 2UN Tel: 0117 963 3136 Fax: 0117 963 7927 Email: email@example.com
- Rolt's of Bristol www.traditionalboatsupplies.com
Hanover Place, Albion Dockside Estate, Bristol BS1 6TZ Tel: 01173305950 Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jason Burnett: East Midlands, very helpful & good rates. All sizes cranes 0115 955 6400
- John Steel: East Midlands, smallish mobile crane suitable for small boats, engines etc 07791 635671
- Basic Boat Liability Co. Tel: 08707 870030 email: email@example.com 17 Hatherley Road, Sidcup, Kent DA14 4BP. As the name suggests, this is the cheapest insurance you can get for third party only insurance. Note however that their small print specifically excludes any towing or being towed (ie no good for butty or horseboat owners).
- Euromarine Ltd Tel: 01843 603345 Eis Ltd, Euromarine House, 18 St Peters Park Road, Broadstairs, Kent, England CT10 2BL do a policy which is third party only and does include towing and being towed.
- Michael Stimpson/aka Towergate Insurance Michael Stimpson & Associates, were the original specialist narrow boat insurers. Now part of the Towergate/Mardon Group, The man himself can be contacted at PO Box 115, Rickmansworth, Herts, WD3 1WB. Tel 01923 770425. Fax 01923 721 559 but for most purposes, and quotes, go to Towergate Insurance, New Zealand House, 160-162 Abbey Foregate, Shrewsbury, SY2 6AL. Tel 0870 1566377
- Mercia Marine are another specialist boat insurer with experience of historic canal boats.
- Navigators and General reputedly also understand all aspects of canal boats. PO Box 848, Brighton BN1 3GQ Tel: +44 (0) 1273 863400 Fax: +44 (0) 1273 863401
- DIY painting advice!
- Bird Brand: for tar & bituminous products
- Dacrylate Paints Ltd Lime Street, Kirkby-in-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire NG17 8AL firstname.lastname@example.org 01623 753845
- Craftmaster Paints: Unit 2, Dadford Bridge Industrial Estate, Plant Street, Wordsley, Stourbridge DY8 Tel: 01384 485554 Fax: 01384 485564 Email: email@example.com
- Liver Grease Oil & Chemical Co: coal & tar products, caulking irons and all sorts of rare items - See Rolt's Boat Yard, Bristol above:
- H Marshall-Guest: Riverside Works, Collyhurst Road, Manchester M40 7RU Tel: 0161 205 5551 Fax: 0161 205 4829 firstname.lastname@example.org manufacturers of Craftmaster Paints and others marketed under their own name.
Signwriters, Boat Painters and Decorators
- Andy Cain at Kegworth Marine, Boat Painter, on 0780 175 4509.
- Ian at Trevethick's Dockyard of Dunkirk, Nottingham, Boat Painter, 0115 978 3467
- Graham Ford of Cherilton Narrrowboats at Trent Lock Dry Dock, Erewash Canal, Boat Fitters & Painters, 07967 635665/ 07707760605
- Steve Mills at Mills Dockyard, Trent Lock, Boat Builder & Painter, 0115 973 2595
- Jan Deuchar, www.jandeuchar.co.uk East Midlands based, Signwriting and decoration. 07860 828723
Surveyors (with historic boat experience):
- Mike Carter , Marine Surveys Ltd
PO Box 389, Northwich, Cheshire CW8 3WY. Tel: 07831 184495 Fax: 0870 1351423
- Jim MacDonald
- R&J Dempster, Narrow Boat and General Haulage. 142 Church Street, Stone, Staffordshire, ST15 8BW. Tel:01785 814175 Mob: 07836 318349
Please feel free to email the webmaster - link on menu frame on left of screen - to recommend (or otherwise).
Please preface the subject line with the characters [HIWB] to assist in separating your message from spam.